It is established in 2010, the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU YVC) is a premier continental youth leadership initiative that recruits, develops, and places young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to work as professionals volunteers for a year.
Respect for Diversity and Team Work
Think Africa Above all
Transparency and Accountability
Integrity and Impartiality
Efficiency and Professionalism
Information and Knowledge Sharing
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or in the Diaspora.
2. Aged 18 – 35 years (must be under the age of 35 upon completing 12 months service)
3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
4. Available in 2023/24 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for professional volunteer service.
5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State.
6. Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili , Spanish).
7. Has at least one-year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work experience.
• Proficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power Point)
• Proficiency with e-mail and internet applications,
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
• Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic, Spanish, Kiswahili) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
• Ability to communicate clearly
• Ability to write clearly and concisely
• Be committed to work
• Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment
• Possess the highest standard of moral conduct and integrity
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training and subsequent volunteer deployment for successful candidates.
An African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following benefits & opportunities:
1) Unique opportunity to engage at highest continental policy and programs at the African Union
2) Network with Young African leaders from across the continent
3) Economy return ticket to place of deployment
4) A monthly stipend to cover living expenses
5) Health insurance cover
6) AU Service Passport
7) Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
8) Training and mentorship opportunities
Method of Application
To submit your application:
1. Visit the AU careers website; careers.au.int, click on the AUYVC post.
i. If you are a registered user, log in
ii. If you are not a registered user, create an account
2. Fill out your personal information and complete the application form
3. Attach the following documents:
i. Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
ii. Bio page of your passport or national ID
iii. Certificate copy of your highest completed qualification (transcripts are not acceptable)
iv. Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your
leadership qualities (in the manifesto folder)
4. Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
i. Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
ii. What makes you the best candidate for AUYVC?
iii. What skills are you bringing to the AUYVC and your host organization?
5. Review and submit your application before: Tuesday September 19, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
i. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
ii. Only successful applicants will be contacted
iii. Providing incomplete or incorrect information is ground for immediate disqualification
*Disclaimer: Please note the African Union at no point charges or request facilitation fees to process applications.
NB; Applications must be submitted no later than Tuesday September 19, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
For More Information.
Visit the Official Webpage
Application Deadline: September 19, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.